Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Pregnancy Update ...

I thought I would put a little update on my blog since I've been pretty quite about this one. No reason for the silence I've just been busy. We are so excited to have the last little addition join us this summer and we (like everyone else) are curious about the gender of the newest Wyatt. Right now I am 19 weeks along and I am due September 3rd but given that I have never made it to a due date we're figuring it will be an early to mid August baby. So as of August 1 we're on high alert :-)

Having a girl would pretty easy for us and to be honest I am comfortable with girls and know how they work and boys are a whole new ball game but of course we'd like to have a boy so even the playing field for Zack. But right now we just want the baby to be healthy and on time.

I am officially labeled as a person at risk for preterm delivery since StellaGrace was born at 36 weeks and because of this I now have to get weekly injections of a hormone called progesterone (17-hydroxyprogesterone) that will hopefully help me keep the baby in and not go into labor at 33 weeks and help me avoid bed rest :-) This injection was in the news last month because a pharmaceutical company bought the drug and 'branded' it so the price went from $10 a dose to $1,500 a dose (and that is not a typo)!!! When that happened we were a little nervous because the alternatives are pretty unappealing and we really want to do everything we can so I can avoid having the baby early and bed rest.

Here's a link to the original article about the drug branding followed by a link to the FDA release:

http://healthland.time.com/2011/03/10/can-patients-get-around-the-exorbitant-new-cost-of-a-pregnancy-drug/

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/739935

Luckily 2 days before I was set to begin the treatment the FDA stepped in and said that pharmacies could go back to making the generic version of the hormone so we were able to get the shot! I have now had 2 shots and it's not as bad as I thought but it's not a ton of fun.

Other than that little hiccup I am doing great and am looking forward to meeting the new little one.

No comments: